Skip to content
  • About us
  • Music
  • Celebrities
  • TV and Movies
  • Fashion
  • Entertaiment
  • Life Style
  • Travel and Health
Style Focus

Style Focus

  • About us
  • Music
  • Celebrities
  • TV and Movies
  • Fashion
  • Entertaiment
  • Life Style
  • Travel and Health
  • Toggle search form
  • Gladiators champions crowned after grand final Uncategorised
  • VÆB win Söngvakeppnin 2025 and will represent Iceland at Eurovision with “RÓA” Uncategorised
  • Taylor Swift’s The Eras Tour Looks music
  • Court rules against K-pop group NewJeans in record label dispute Uncategorised
  • Strictly Come Dancing 2023: Snake hips, meditation and fabulous outfits Uncategorised
  • Sexmane releases “Mania” — his song for Finland’s UMK 2024 Uncategorised
  • Katrina Leskanich: Live in London at Putney’s Half Moon (28 September) Uncategorised
  • Presentation of the new release
    From catwalk and global advertising to music career – the premiere of LADOSHKO’s song Uncategorised

MasterChef returns with sacked hosts but without their jokes

Posted on 6 August 2025 By Admin No Comments on MasterChef returns with sacked hosts but without their jokes

MasterChef returns with sacked hosts but without their jokes

John Torode, left, and Gregg Wallace with a MasterChef logo behind them
John Torode, left, and Gregg Wallace have presented MasterChef since 2005

MasterChef has returned to TV screens with the launch of a new series that was filmed before hosts Gregg Wallace and John Torode were sacked.

The pair were both fired last month after a report into conduct on the cooking show upheld allegations against them.

The BBC decided to still show this year’s amateur series, saying it was “the right thing to do” for the chefs who took part. But it faced a backlash from some women who came forward, while former Celebrity MasterChef contestant Kirsty Wark suggested the BBC could have refilmed the series without the two co-hosts.

Both presenters appear from the outset and throughout new series, which launched on BBC iPlayer on Wednesday morning, but it appears to have been edited to include fewer jokes than usual and less chat between them and the chefs.

The first three episodes have been released on iPlayer, with the series opener to be broadcast on BBC One at 20:00 BST.

Speaking to BBC Breakfast, Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy said as a viewer, she too “certainly won’t be watching it”, but that it wasn’t her place to tell broadcasters what they could or couldn’t show.

In previous years, Wallace and Torode have been a near-constant presence throughout the episodes.

And in the first episode of the new series, they welcome the new contestants, introduce the challenges, interview the chefs while they cook, announce when “time’s up”, and taste the dishes.

But there are fewer jokes, with the usual banter between the presenters and the chefs appearing to have been reduced.

‘It feels really different’

“There’s not really any jokes and chat is kept to a minimum,” TV critic Scott Bryan said of the new episodes.

“John and Gregg are there to explain things to camera, link parts of the programme and review the food, but they’re not there so much for our entertainment.”

His views were echoed by Charlie Beckett, a former programme editor at BBC News and Channel 4 News, who told BBC Radio 5 Live: “If you’ve never seen MasterChef before, you’d just think it’s a pretty ordinary, regular cooking programme. It works perfectly well.

“But there is much less of the banter from the presenters. So it works, but for regular viewers they probably will see that it feels really different.”

The promotional image on iPlayer shows the trophy rather than the presenters, unlike in recent years.

Six chefs feature in the first episode, with the next episodes set to introduce a new set of contestants.

Wark ‘won’t be watching’

Last week, one of the contestants on the new series of MasterChef said she was edited out after asking for it not to be broadcast.

Sarah Shafi told BBC Newsnight that “in an ideal world, what would have happened is that it would have been axed” out of respect to those people whose complaints were upheld.

Her comments came as the BBC faced mounting pressure to reconsider airing the series.

Broadcast union Bectu said bad behaviour “should not be rewarded with prime-time coverage”, while a leading women’s rights charity warned many people would feel “deeply uncomfortable” to see the show on their TV screens.

Some of the women who made allegations against Wallace have also told BBC News they didn’t think it should be aired, with one saying it showed “a blatant disregard for the people who have come forward”.

Wark, who told BBC News last November that Wallace had told “sexualised” jokes while filming Celebrity MasterChef in 2011, said she knew many women had asked the BBC not to broadcast the new series.

Speaking to the BBC’s Scotcast podcast, she asked: “It could, I suppose, just have gone out on iPlayer, and would that make any difference?”

Not screening it “would have been a terrible shame for all the contestants, but they could have done it all again”, she continued, adding: “I probably won’t be watching.”

Upheld complaints

The controversy over MasterChef started last year, when BBC News first revealed claims of misconduct against Wallace.

In July, a report by the show’s production company Banijay revealed that 83 complaints had been made against Wallace with more than 40 upheld, including one of unwelcome physical contact and another three of being in a state of undress.

He has insisted he was cleared of “the most serious and sensational allegations”.

In a recent interview with The Sun, he said he was “so sorry” to anyone he hurt, but insisted that he was “not a groper, a sex pest or a flasher”.

The upheld complaint against Torode related to a severely offensive racist term allegedly used on the set of MasterChef in 2018.

The presenter said he had “no recollection” of it and that any racist language is “wholly unacceptable”.

In her interview on Wednesday, the culture secretary weighed in on the scandals involving the presenters, saying: “Like every member of the public, I’m absolutely appalled that that was allowed to happen in plain sight for far too long.”

But she also applauded the BBC for signing up to a new watchdog designed to improve standards in the creative industries.

“I think the BBC has shown leadership on this and I would urge other people to follow suit,” she said.

‘Bitter aftertaste’

The BBC previously said it had not been “an easy decision” to run the series, adding that there was “widespread support” among the chefs for it going ahead.

“In showing the series, which was filmed last year, it in no way diminishes our view of the seriousness of the upheld findings against both presenters,” it said.

“However, we believe that broadcasting this series is the right thing to do for these cooks who have given so much to the process. We want them to be properly recognised and give the audience the choice to watch the series.”

In a review, the Telegraph’s critic Ed Cumming wrote: “To show how seriously the BBC takes the allegations against the presenters, they have edited out their jokes.” The resulting series “lacks pizzazz”, he said.

The Standard’s Vicky Jessop wrote: “No jokes here – the production team presumably being terrified that anything either of them says would be taken the wrong way.”

The first episode “left a slightly sour taste in the mouth”, she added – a sentiment echoed by the Independent’s Nick Hilton, who wrote that the series is “tinged with a strange, bitter aftertaste”.

Additional reporting by Emmanuella Alausa.

Adblock test (Why?)

Uncategorised

Post navigation

Previous Post: The Repair Shop’s Jay Blades charged with rape
Next Post: Fall in viewers for Wallace and Torode’s last MasterChef

Related Posts

  • Blackpink: K-pop band make ‘epic Wembley dream’ come true Uncategorised
  • Rust film armourer guilty over shooting death Uncategorised
  • In a Roman-era cemetery in the Gaza Strip, archaeologists found lead sarcophagi of "respectable" people
    In a Roman-era cemetery in the Gaza Strip, archaeologists found lead sarcophagi of “respectable” people Uncategorised
  • 2024 Met Gala: See the Biggest Stars and Best Looks at This Year’s Event at This Year’s Event (Live Updates) Uncategorised
  • Drake’s security guard shot at rapper’s Toronto home Uncategorised
  • Gladiator II: Paul Mescal battles a rhino in upcoming film Uncategorised

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Olivia Colman and Benedict Cumberbatch’s secrets to successful marriages
  • Ariana Grande announces first tour for seven years
  • BuDhaGirl’s Jessica Jesse Is Making Mindfulness Chic With Bangles That Double as Daily Rituals
  • What difference will marriage make to Taylor Swift’s music?
  • Meghan on who said ‘I love you’ first, and what she misses about UK

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Archives

  • August 2025
  • July 2025
  • June 2025
  • May 2025
  • April 2025
  • March 2025
  • February 2025
  • January 2025
  • December 2024
  • November 2024
  • October 2024
  • September 2024
  • August 2024
  • July 2024
  • June 2024
  • May 2024
  • April 2024
  • March 2024
  • February 2024
  • January 2024
  • December 2023
  • November 2023
  • October 2023
  • September 2023
  • August 2023
  • July 2023
  • April 2023
  • March 2023
  • February 2023
  • January 2023
  • March 2022

Categories

  • announcements
  • Events
  • Fashion
  • music
  • Persons
  • Uncategorised
  • Flash poll: Who should qualify from Melodifestivalen heat 5 in Sweden? Uncategorised
  • MUSTII: “Before the Party’s Over” carries a sense of urgency — life is fragile, give everything right now Uncategorised
  • X blocks searches for Taylor Swift after explicit AI images of her go viral Uncategorised
  • Secret Glastonbury: The mystery of the festival’s surprise stars Uncategorised
  • French rapper MHD gets 12 years in jail for murder Uncategorised
  • Molly-Mae Hague ‘shocked’ by Tommy Fury split Uncategorised
  • Tricky Nicki presents the track “HOPE” with a children's choir
    Tricky Nicki presents the track “HOPE” with a children’s choir music
  • Corden wins over most critics with stage return Uncategorised

Copyright © Style Focus

Powered by PressBook News WordPress theme