Skip to content
  • About us
  • Music
  • Celebrities
  • TV and Movies
  • Fashion
  • Entertaiment
  • Life Style
  • Travel and Health
Style Focus

Style Focus

  • About us
  • Music
  • Celebrities
  • TV and Movies
  • Fashion
  • Entertaiment
  • Life Style
  • Travel and Health
  • Toggle search form
  • Stevie Wonder: ‘I’ll keep playing as long as I breathe’ Uncategorised
  • Emma Watson banned from driving for speeding Uncategorised
  • Listen with your heart: “I'll Count” is a TAYNA song that will touch everyone
    Listen with your heart: “I’ll Count” is a TAYNA song that will touch everyone music
  • Sanremo Giovani 2023: Italy reveals 12 finalists for Sanremo 2024 qualifier event Uncategorised
  • Glastonbury 2024: 15 magical and memorable moments Uncategorised
  • Live discussion: Melodifestivalen heat 4 in Sweden Uncategorised
  • “Why not?” — Piqued Jacks discuss potential Eurovision return amidst ongoing touring schedule Uncategorised
  • A pioneering women’s World Cup erased from history Uncategorised

Kneecap performing at Glastonbury ‘not appropriate’, PM says

Posted on 21 June 2025 By Admin No Comments on Kneecap performing at Glastonbury ‘not appropriate’, PM says
Kneecap members Mo Chara, Moglai Bap and DJ Provai standing together.

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer has said he does not think Kneecap’s planned Glastonbury Festival performance is “appropriate”.

He made the comments after Kneecap member Liam Óg Ó hAnnaidh appeared in court charged with a terror offence, relating to allegedly displaying a flag in support of proscribed terrorist organisation Hezbollah at a gig in November last year.

In an interview with the Sun, Sir Keir was asked if he thought the trio should perform at Glastonbury, to which he replied: “No, I don’t, and I think we need to come down really clearly on this.

“This is about the threats that shouldn’t be made, I won’t say too much because there’s a court case on, but I don’t think that’s appropriate.”

BBC News has approached Glastonbury Festival for comment.

In a post on social media on Saturday evening, Kneecap responded to the prime minister’s comments.

The band said: “You know what’s ‘not appropriate’ Keir?!” They then used an expletive to accuse the prime minister of arming a genocide.

Israel has strongly denied allegations of genocide relating to the ongoing war in Gaza.

Mr Ó hAnnaidh, charged under the name Liam O’Hanna, was released on unconditional bail after Wednesday’s hearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court.

The prime minister’s comments came after Conservative Party leader Kemi Badenoch said she thought the BBC “should not be showing” Kneecap’s performance at the festival next week.

Badenoch said in an X post, which was accompanied by an article from The Times that claimed the BBC had not banned the group: “The BBC should not be showing Kneecap propaganda.

“One Kneecap band member is currently on bail, charged under the Terrorism Act.

“As a publicly funded platform, the BBC should not be rewarding extremism.”

Responding to the Tory leader’s comments, a BBC spokesperson said as the festival’s broadcast partner, it “will be bringing audiences extensive music coverage from Glastonbury, with artists booked by the festival organisers”.

They added: “Whilst the BBC doesn’t ban artists, our plans will ensure that our programming will meet our editorial guidelines.

“Decisions about our output will be made in the lead-up to the festival.”

Badenoch has previously called for the group to be banned from Glastonbury, and last year Kneecap won a discrimination case against the UK government in Belfast High Court after she tried to refuse them a £14,250 funding award when she was a minister.

Kneecap took aim at Badenoch in their latest single, The Recap, released just before their headline set at London’s Wide Awake festival in May, with the song mocking the politician’s attempts to block their arts funding and the Conservative Party’s election loss.

On Wednesday, Mr Ó hAnnaidh, who performs under the stage name Mo Chara, was cheered by hundreds of supporters as he arrived with bandmates Naoise O Caireallain and JJ O Dochartaigh at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in “Free Mo Chara” T-shirts.

The 27-year-old will appear at the same court for his next hearing on 20 August.

An up close image of Liam Óg Ó hAnnaidh, who is wearing a scarf and sunglasses. There is a crowd of people behind him.
Liam Ó hAnnaidh has been released on unconditional bail until his next hearing on 20 August.

Following the hearing, the rapper said: “For anybody going to Glastonbury, you can see us there at 4pm on the Saturday.

“If you can’t be there we’ll be on the BBC, if anybody watches the BBC. We’ll be at Wembley in September.

“But most importantly: free, free Palestine.”

In a statement, posted on social media in May after Mr Ó hAnnaidh was charged, Kneecap said: “We deny this ‘offence’ and will vehemently defend ourselves.”

The charge came following a counter-terrorism police investigation after the historical gig footage came to light.

Both Hamas and Hezbollah are banned in the UK and it is a crime to express support for them.

Kneecap say they have never supported Hamas or Hezbollah and would not incite violence against any individual.

Will the PM’s words change anything?

Analysis from Charlotte Gallagher, BBC News correspondent

Will Kneecap care that the Prime Minister doesn’t think they should perform at Glastonbury?

Probably not.

If anything, it will likely increase the trio’s profile.

They’re selling out venues, getting millions of streams and being talked about by people across the world.

Calls by politicians and some celebrities to get Kneecap removed from line ups seem to have made them more famous or infamous – depending on your viewpoint.

There were hundreds of people outside Westminster Magistrates’ Court supporting Liam Óg Ó hAnnaidh aka Mo Chara earlier this week. Many felt Kneecap were representing their views while politicians were not listening to them.

Mo Chara is back in court in August – expect similar crowds.

Who are Kneecap?

Kneecap members Moglai Bap, Mo Chara, DJ Provai standing together in front of a red wall.

Kneecap are an Irish-speaking rap trio who have courted controversy with their provocative lyrics and merchandise.

The group was formed in 2017 by three friends who go by the stage names of Mo Chara, Móglaí Bap and DJ Próvaí.

Their rise to fame inspired a semi-fictionalised film starring Oscar-nominated actor Michael Fassbender.

The film won a British Academy of Film Award (Bafta) in February 2025.

Adblock test (Why?)

Uncategorised

Post navigation

Previous Post: Dua Lipa brings out Jamiroquai at emotional Wembley debut
Next Post: New music this week: Songs from BLANCO, Stefania, Princ and more

Related Posts

  • Kourtney Kardashian Matches With Travis Barker at 2023 Emmys in First Red Carpet Appearance Since Son’s Birth Uncategorised
  • Jessica Simpson Opens Up About Her Sobriety, Being Mistaken for Britney Spears and Her Icon Era (Exclusive) Uncategorised
  • Poll: Who should win Iceland’s Söngvakeppnin 2024? Uncategorised
  • Rustin: Obama-backed film gets Oscar buzz for Colman Domingo Uncategorised
  • Liveblog: Semi-final 1 – first dress rehearsal Uncategorised
  • Eurovision 2025: Geneva and Basel shortlisted as final two candidate cities to host Uncategorised

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Ariana Grande announces first tour for seven years
  • BuDhaGirl’s Jessica Jesse Is Making Mindfulness Chic With Bangles That Double as Daily Rituals
  • What difference will marriage make to Taylor Swift’s music?
  • Meghan on who said ‘I love you’ first, and what she misses about UK
  • Jerry Adler, who starred in The Sopranos, dies aged 96

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Archives

  • August 2025
  • July 2025
  • June 2025
  • May 2025
  • April 2025
  • March 2025
  • February 2025
  • January 2025
  • December 2024
  • November 2024
  • October 2024
  • September 2024
  • August 2024
  • July 2024
  • June 2024
  • May 2024
  • April 2024
  • March 2024
  • February 2024
  • January 2024
  • December 2023
  • November 2023
  • October 2023
  • September 2023
  • August 2023
  • July 2023
  • April 2023
  • March 2023
  • February 2023
  • January 2023
  • March 2022

Categories

  • announcements
  • Events
  • Fashion
  • music
  • Persons
  • Uncategorised
  • Swift announces new album on boyfriend Kelce’s podcast Uncategorised
  • Kate Winslet says women should celebrate ‘being a real shape’ Uncategorised
  • BBC Breakfast boss takes extended leave after bullying allegations Uncategorised
  • Jerry Adler, who starred in The Sopranos, dies aged 96 Uncategorised
  • Historic theatre saved after closure U-turn Uncategorised
  • Poll: Who should win Greece’s national selection for Eurovision 2025? Uncategorised
  • AVROTROS complained to the EBU about “unsafe environment” before Joost Klein’s disqualification, while S10 says her own boundaries were not respected by backstage workers at Eurovision Uncategorised
  • Jennifer Lopez Looks Radiant in Gorgeous Floral Ensemble at Daytime Beauty Awards Uncategorised

Copyright © Style Focus

Powered by PressBook News WordPress theme