Skip to content
  • About us
  • Music
  • Celebrities
  • TV and Movies
  • Fashion
  • Entertaiment
  • Life Style
  • Travel and Health
Style Focus

Style Focus

  • About us
  • Music
  • Celebrities
  • TV and Movies
  • Fashion
  • Entertaiment
  • Life Style
  • Travel and Health
  • Toggle search form
  • MTV Video Music Awards’ Most Iconic Fashion Moments of All Time Uncategorised
  • DDEVA - "Native people": a song dedicated to those who were taken away by the war
    DDEVA – “Native people”: a song dedicated to those who were taken away by the war Uncategorised
  • Dutch broadcaster AVROTROS calls for broader and “truly independent” investigation…and structural changes at Eurovision Uncategorised
  • Victoria Beckham Closes Her Paris Fashion Week Show on Crutches With a Kiss for David Beckham Uncategorised
  • Dad’s Army star Ian Lavender dies aged 77 Uncategorised
  • Austria’s Kaleen will bring the rave to London Eurovision Party Uncategorised
  • Taylor Swift says she felt ‘fear’ over Vienna attack threat Uncategorised
  • Switzerland accepting song submissions for Eurovision 2026 Uncategorised

Baldwin ‘played make-believe’ with gun, Rust trial hears

Posted on 10 July 2024 By Admin No Comments on Baldwin ‘played make-believe’ with gun, Rust trial hears

Baldwin ‘played make-believe’ with gun, Rust trial hears

Alec Baldwin’s trial opened in New Mexico on Wednesday with the prosecution and defence painting starkly different pictures of the events leading up to the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.

Mr Baldwin, known for roles on the sitcom 30 Rock and portraying Donald Trump on Saturday Night Live, is facing up to 18 months in prison if convicted of involuntary manslaughter.

Ms Hutchins, 42, died after a gun Mr Baldwin was rehearsing with went off. It was found that the film’s armourer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, accidentally mixed up dummy bullets with live ammunition she had brought from home.

Mr Baldwin has pleaded not guilty and maintains he never pulled the trigger when the gun went off.

In their opening statements, the defence portrayed Mr Baldwin as an actor simply doing his job, who placed his trust in a crew charged with ensuring weapon safety.

Prosecutors argued he was a man with a flagrant disregard for gun safety on a film set with a small budget and an inexperienced cast.

Prosecutor Erlinda Johnson opened the trial by telling the jury that the case was “simple” and “straightforward”.

Mr Baldwin “played make-believe with a real gun” and “violated the cardinal rules of firearms safety”, Ms Johnson argued.

“While it was a movie set, it was a real, live workplace for many people,” she said in her opening statements. “You will hear that this workplace was on a tight budget… and some of the people who were hired were inexperienced.”

Mr Baldwin’s defence team, however, argued firearms are treated differently on a film set, where each member of a cast has a designated role and obligation, including when it comes to safety and firearms.

“He was just acting as he’s done for generations, and it was the safety apparatus that failed them all,” Baldwin’s lawyer Alex Spiro said.

“Alec Baldwin committed no crime,” he said firmly, later adding: “It was an actor handling a prop.”

Those crew members responsible for safety – including Gutierrez-Reed and David Halls, an assistant director and safety co-ordinator – failed their jobs, he argued.

“Real bullets are never supposed to be on movie sets,” Mr Spiro said.

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins
Halyna Hutchins in 2019

Both Halls and Gutierrez-Reed faced charges in the fatal shooting.

Halls has pleaded guilty to unsafe handling of a firearm and Gutierrez-Reed was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter earlier this year, and sentenced to 18 months in prison.

A key issue during the trial is Mr Baldwin’s claim that he did not pull the trigger when the revolver he was holding went off.

Prosecutors took aim at the claim early, detailing the extensive FBI tests done on the weapon.

It “worked perfectly fine as it was designed,” Ms Johnson told the jury.

Mr Baldwin’s team also brought up the tests and noted that during one of them, the FBI destroyed parts of the weapon – thus preventing it from being used for further analysis as part of their defence.

The rest of the trial will feature several witnesses and video and audio from the Rust set, including from the day Ms Hutchins was killed.

The first witness called on Wednesday was Officer Nicholas LeFleur, who responded to the scene and tried to aid Hutchins after she was shot.

Footage from his body camera was shown in court.

The room, which can hold about 100 people, was filled with heavy sighs as they watched some of Ms Hutchins’ last moments.

Mr Baldwin was visibly uncomfortable, leaning back and forth and at some times grimacing and covering his face.

The trial is set to continue until 19 July. Baldwin faces up to 18 months in prison.

Adblock test (Why?)

Uncategorised

Post navigation

Previous Post: Reese Witherspoon’s Draper James Teams Up with The Foggy Dog for Pawsitively Cute Collab
Next Post: Jason Kelce Admits Wife Kylie Had to Buy Him New Pants Ahead of Golf Tournament

Related Posts

  • Poll: Which Eurovision 2024 song is your favourite so far? Uncategorised
  • Eurovizija.LT: Lithuania updates televote results…and confirm that Shower won the jury vote Uncategorised
  • Eurovision 2024: Semi-Final Allocation Draw reveals which countries sing when Uncategorised
  • 2023 CFDA Fashion Awards: Red Carpet Arrivals Uncategorised
  • Co-op Live set to open after chaotic three weeks Uncategorised
  • Achille Lauro and Giorgia amongst top 5 from Night 1 of Festival di Sanremo 2025 Uncategorised

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Ariana Grande announces first tour for seven years
  • BuDhaGirl’s Jessica Jesse Is Making Mindfulness Chic With Bangles That Double as Daily Rituals
  • What difference will marriage make to Taylor Swift’s music?
  • Meghan on who said ‘I love you’ first, and what she misses about UK
  • Jerry Adler, who starred in The Sopranos, dies aged 96

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Archives

  • August 2025
  • July 2025
  • June 2025
  • May 2025
  • April 2025
  • March 2025
  • February 2025
  • January 2025
  • December 2024
  • November 2024
  • October 2024
  • September 2024
  • August 2024
  • July 2024
  • June 2024
  • May 2024
  • April 2024
  • March 2024
  • February 2024
  • January 2024
  • December 2023
  • November 2023
  • October 2023
  • September 2023
  • August 2023
  • July 2023
  • April 2023
  • March 2023
  • February 2023
  • January 2023
  • March 2022

Categories

  • announcements
  • Events
  • Fashion
  • music
  • Persons
  • Uncategorised
  • Vanessa Bryant Cheers on Daughter Natalia During Runway Debut  Uncategorised
  • Avril Lavigne on the Backpack of Ties That Helped Shape Her Signature Style and Greatest Hits Tour (Exclusive) Uncategorised
  • Kendall Jenner Makes Controversial Fashion Choice at Louvre Uncategorised
  • “Take my hand and spin me”: Olly Alexander yearns for affection in “Dizzy” lyrics Uncategorised
  • Feminine and masculine energies combine in Katarina's new single "Sun"
    Feminine and masculine energies combine in Katarina’s new single “Sun” music
  • OGAE Song Contest 2023 results: The U.K.’s Harry Styles wins with “As It Was” Uncategorised
  • New music this week (part 2): Songs from Jerry Heil & alyona alyona, Sarah Bonnici, KALUSH and more Uncategorised
  • Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May film final Grand Tour Uncategorised

Copyright © Style Focus

Powered by PressBook News WordPress theme