Skip to content
  • About us
  • Music
  • Celebrities
  • TV and Movies
  • Fashion
  • Entertaiment
  • Life Style
  • Travel and Health
Style Focus

Style Focus

  • About us
  • Music
  • Celebrities
  • TV and Movies
  • Fashion
  • Entertaiment
  • Life Style
  • Travel and Health
  • Toggle search form
  • Jimmy Savile: Steve Coogan on playing paedophile TV presenter in The Reckoning Uncategorised
  • Do you want to know a secret? Teenagers tell all for new stage show Uncategorised
  • Annie Nightingale: Trailblazing BBC Radio 1 DJ dies at 83 Uncategorised
  • Holly Willoughby: Man in court over alleged kidnap plot Uncategorised
  • Peppa Pig and Thunderbirds actor David Graham dies Uncategorised
  • Fall in viewers for Wallace and Torode’s last MasterChef Uncategorised
  • Naomi Campbell’s charity had complaint from Unicef Uncategorised
  • Eliza Presents Her Debut Single "Rain" – A Story of Love and Struggle
    Eliza Presents Her Debut Single “Rain” – A Story of Love and Struggle music

John Torode sacked as MasterChef presenter

Posted on 15 July 2025 By Admin No Comments on John Torode sacked as MasterChef presenter

John Torode sacked as MasterChef presenter

John Torode has been sacked as MasterChef presenter after an allegation against him using “an extremely offensive racist term” was upheld.

In an Instagram statement on Tuesday, the TV chef said he had “no recollection” of what he is accused of, and said he had hoped to have some say in his exit.

Earlier in the day, the show’s production company Banijay said it and the BBC “are agreed” that his contract on the show will not be renewed.

It plunges the BBC cooking show into a deeper crisis, with the BBC’s director general Tim Davie saying no decision has yet been made on this year’s series of MasterChef.

The controversy over MasterChef started last year, when BBC News first revealed claims of inappropriate sexual language against Torode’s co-host Gregg Wallace.

Wallace was sacked last week as dozens more people came forward to BBC News with allegations against him. He has always denied the claims.

On Monday, more than 40 allegations against Wallace were also upheld as part of an inquiry into his conduct.

Speaking to BBC News on Tuesday afternoon, Davie described the allegation against Torode as “a serious racist term which does not get to be acceptable in any way shape or form”.

“It’s really important we are taking this seriously,” he said. “We’ve drawn a line in the sand.”

In his statement on Tuesday, Torode said: “Although I haven’t heard from anyone at the BBC or Banijay – I am seeing and reading that I’ve been “sacked” from MasterChef.

“I repeat that I have no recollection of what I’m accused of. The enquiry could not even state the date or year of when I am meant to have said something wrong.”

He said Celebrity MasterChef, which he recently filmed with food critic Grace Dent, along with two Christmas specials, would be his last.

“Personally, I have loved every minute working on MasterChef, but it’s time to pass the cutlery to someone else.”

‘An extremely offensive racist term’

A BBC spokesperson said: “John Torode has identified himself as having an upheld allegation of using racist language against him.

“This allegation – which involves an extremely offensive racist term being used in the workplace – was investigated and substantiated by the independent investigation led by the law firm, Lewis Silkin.

“John Torode denies the allegation. He has stated he has no recollection of the alleged incident and does not believe that it happened. He also says that any racial language is wholly unacceptable in any environment.

“The BBC takes this upheld finding extremely seriously. We will not tolerate racist language of any kind and, as we have already said, we told Banijay UK, the makers of MasterChef, that action must be taken. John Torode’s contract on MasterChef will not be renewed.”

A picture of Gregg Wallace, left, and John Torode
Gregg Wallace, left, and John Torode have presented MasterChef since 2005

Speaking on Tuesday afternoon, Davie refused to say what would happen to the unseen series of MasterChef, which has already been filmed, with both Wallace and Torode in it.

“Those amateur chefs gave a lot to take part, it means a lot, it can be an enormous break if you come through the show.

“So I want to just reflect on that with the team and make a decision, and we’ll communicate that in due course.”

He also admitted the recent weeks, which have involved other BBC controversies including Bob Vylan’s performance at Glastonbury, had been “a very tough time”, and that he had “felt pressure”.

Earlier on Tuesday, Davie told a press conference that MasterChef “absolutely” has a future, adding that it was “much bigger than individuals”.

‘I apologised immediately’

Torode – who is originally from Australia – has been presenting MasterChef since 2005, alongside Wallace, with whom he also presented the spin-off show Celebrity MasterChef.

Wallace stepped back from the show last November after BBC News’ initial investigation, and Banijay ordered an immediate inquiry into the allegations against him.

On Monday, that inquiry found that 45 allegations about Wallace’s behaviour on Masterchef were upheld.

But later on Monday, Torode revealed he was also the subject of an allegation of using racist language, upheld as part of the same inquiry.

He said the allegation was that he made the remarks in a social setting in 2018 or 2019, adding: “I do not believe that it happened.”

He said that the allegation included that the “person I was speaking with did not believe that it was intended in a malicious way and that I apologised immediately afterwards”.

Torode added: “I want to be clear that I’ve always had the view that any racial language is wholly unacceptable in any environment. I’m shocked and saddened by the allegation as I would never wish to cause anyone any offence.”

A thin, grey banner promoting the News Daily newsletter. On the right, there is a graphic of an orange sphere with two concentric crescent shapes around it in a red-orange gradient, like a sound wave. The banner reads: "The latest news in your inbox first thing.”

Get our flagship newsletter with all the headlines you need to start the day. Sign up here.

Adblock test (Why?)

Uncategorised

Post navigation

Previous Post: Berlin Song Fest: Songwriting camp aims to craft a new Eurovision hit
Next Post: Emma Watson banned from driving for speeding

Related Posts

  • Serbia: Pesma za Evroviziju 24 contestants include Konstrakta, Teya Dora, and Zorja Uncategorised
  • Poll: Which Baltic State has the best entry at Eurovision 2025? Uncategorised
  • Flash poll: Who should qualify from Melodifestivalen heat 1 in Sweden? Uncategorised
  • Wiwi Jury: Iceland’s VÆB with “RÓA” Uncategorised
  • Gladiators 2025: Winners crowned after grand final Uncategorised
  • Annie Nightingale obituary: Innovative DJ who always had the hottest tunes Uncategorised

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Ariana Grande announces first tour for seven years
  • BuDhaGirl’s Jessica Jesse Is Making Mindfulness Chic With Bangles That Double as Daily Rituals
  • What difference will marriage make to Taylor Swift’s music?
  • Meghan on who said ‘I love you’ first, and what she misses about UK
  • Jerry Adler, who starred in The Sopranos, dies aged 96

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Archives

  • August 2025
  • July 2025
  • June 2025
  • May 2025
  • April 2025
  • March 2025
  • February 2025
  • January 2025
  • December 2024
  • November 2024
  • October 2024
  • September 2024
  • August 2024
  • July 2024
  • June 2024
  • May 2024
  • April 2024
  • March 2024
  • February 2024
  • January 2024
  • December 2023
  • November 2023
  • October 2023
  • September 2023
  • August 2023
  • July 2023
  • April 2023
  • March 2023
  • February 2023
  • January 2023
  • March 2022

Categories

  • announcements
  • Events
  • Fashion
  • music
  • Persons
  • Uncategorised
  • Jonathan Majors: What now for the Marvel universe and his career? Uncategorised
  • The Ukrainian artist LES PANCHYSHYN began cooperation with famous American gallerists
    The Ukrainian artist LES PANCHYSHYN began cooperation with famous American gallerists Uncategorised
  • Operation Mincemeat musical transfers to Broadway Uncategorised
  • Raye’s path to the Brits: ‘It’s not been the simplest story’ Uncategorised
  • Shakira: Singer settles Spanish tax fraud case with €7.5m fine Uncategorised
  • Amy Dowden taken to hospital during Strictly show Uncategorised
  • Її костюм — її історія: як Ірина Ковальова несе український голос у світ
    Її костюм — її історія: як Ірина Ковальова несе український голос у світ Persons
  • Disappointment as Drake’s final Wireless show ends after 40 minutes Uncategorised

Copyright © Style Focus

Powered by PressBook News WordPress theme