Skip to content
  • About us
  • Music
  • Celebrities
  • TV and Movies
  • Fashion
  • Entertaiment
  • Life Style
  • Travel and Health
Style Focus

Style Focus

  • About us
  • Music
  • Celebrities
  • TV and Movies
  • Fashion
  • Entertaiment
  • Life Style
  • Travel and Health
  • Toggle search form
  • “Zapalna” - pop music from Ustym Buk after the successful EP album
    “Zapalna” – pop music from Ustym Buk after the successful EP album music
  • Paris Hilton Dares to Bare in Racy Cutout Jacket: See the Bold Look Uncategorised
  • Sophie Turner Enjoys Another Night Out With Taylor Swift After Suing Joe Jonas — See the Pics Uncategorised
  • Armenia confirms Eurovision 2025 return with Depi Evratesil as national selection Uncategorised
  • BBC Sound of 2024: Tyla, Last Dinner Party and Kenya Grace tipped for success Uncategorised
  • Ukrainian fitness trainer releases a song about a love triangle
    Ukrainian fitness trainer releases a song about a love triangle music
  • Eurovision 2024: Independent investigation looking into unsafe working atmosphere following at least 13 complaints from delegations Uncategorised
  • Eurovision Christmas (part 2): New festive songs from Måns Zelmerlöw, Chanel, Dami Im and more Uncategorised

Edwards given suspended jail term for abuse images

Posted on 16 September 2024 By Admin No Comments on Edwards given suspended jail term for abuse images

Edwards given suspended jail term for abuse images

The custody photograph taken of Huw Edwards after his arrest in November
Former BBC newsreader Huw Edwards, seen in a custody photograph

Disgraced BBC News presenter Huw Edwards has been given a six-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, after he admitted charges of making indecent images of children.

The court heard that Edwards replied “yes xxx” when asked in a WhatsApp chat whether he wanted sexual images of a person whose “age could be discerned as being between 14 and 16”.

He will be placed on the sex offenders register for seven years.

In July, the former newsreader admitted having 41 such images, which were sent to him on WhatsApp – including some showing a victim aged between seven and nine.

During his sentencing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court he was also told to attend a sex offender treatment programme.

Edwards was sent images by a 25-year-old convicted sex offender called Alex Williams. The court heard that when Williams asked Edwards if he wanted more images of young people, Edwards replied: “Go on.” Another time he said: “Amazing.”

The judge sentencing him remarked that the former broadcaster’s “long-earned reputation” was “in tatters”.

A BBC spokesperson said the corporation was “appalled” by Edwards’ crimes.

“He has betrayed not just the BBC, but audiences who put their trust in him.”

Former BBC Presenter Huw Edwards arrives at Westminster Magistrates Court for sentencing hearing
Huw Edwards arriving at court on Monday

At his last court appearance, he pleaded guilty to three counts of making indecent images of children. Under the law, images can mean photos or clips.

The court previously heard that Edwards sent hundreds of pounds to a convicted sex offender after they sent him pornographic images.

While most of the images were of adult men, a significant proportion of the images were of children.

Of the 377 images, 41 were indecent images, which means they were underage.

The court heard that the Category A images Edwards was in possession of were mostly children aged 13-15.

One child was aged between seven and nine.

The prosecutor said in his opening remarks in the case against the veteran broadcaster: “It is clear from the face of the WhatsApp chat recovered that a deal of the chat between Alex Williams and Mr Edwards was sexual in nature.

“It is also clear that Mr Edwards was paying not insignificant sums of money – low hundreds of pounds on an occasional basis – to Alex Williams which Mr Williams directly asked for on several occasions, as gifts or presents, apparently off the back of sending pornographic images to Mr Edwards, about which images they chatted.

“Alex Williams has stated that the money was more generally to support him at university and amounted to around £1,000 to £1,500.”

After Williams sent more images, the pair then wished themselves a happy Christmas, the court heard.

Mr Hope added that while “it was clear” that the pair “had been communicating over various platforms, the only chat that could be recovered was from a WhatsApp chat on Williams’ phone”.

He added that the mitigating factors were that Edwards had a mental disorder, “with documentation obtained by the defence showing that his decision-making across the relevant time may have been adversely impaired by a mixture of mood disorder, neuro-cognitive disorder and alcohol consumption”.

Edwards’ lawyer Philip Evans told the court that the former newsreader “positively told Mr Williams not to send images of people who are underage”.

“He recognises the repugnant nature of such images,” he said. “He is truly sorry that he has committed these offences.”

Mitigating factors outlined included no previous convictions, his decision-making may have been impaired by “mental disorder”, and remorse.

Mr Evans told the court the offending could be linked to the “grave situation” of Edwards’ mental health. He added that he had begun receiving treatment for mental ill health in 2019 and that was interrupted by the pandemic in 2020.

The images were first sent via WhatsApp in December 2020.

“He recognises he has betrayed the priceless trust and faith of so many people. He knows that he has hurt and damaged his family and and his loved ones around him.”

He added that “the defendant has no memory of viewing any particular images”, adding that Edwards “did not store any of the images on any device”.

Chief magistrate Paul Goldspring then began his sentencing. During his remarks, the judge set out the impact that indecent images of children have on those young people who are made to appear in them.

He said the appropriate sentence would be 12 months for the most severe abuse images. However, taking into account the mitigation and early guilty plea, the sentence would be six months suspended for two years.

The magistrate said Edwards did not pose a risk to the public or children and an immediate custodial sentence was not necessary because the evidence showed he could be rehabilitated.

Huw Edwards sitting behind the desk in front of a Westminster backdrop while presenting the 2019 election results programme
Edwards fronted BBC News coverage including the 2019 general election results

At Edwards’ court appearance in July, he pleaded guilty to three counts of making indecent images of children.

He was found to have seven category A images – the most serious classification, which show serious abuse including penetrative sexual activity.

He also had 12 category B pictures, which involve non-penetrative sexual activity, and 22 photographs in category C, which covers other indecent images. The category B and C pictures showed children aged between 12 to 15.

A court sketch showing Huw Edwards
A court artist sketched Edwards in his appearance in July

Until last year, Edwards was one of the main presenters on BBC One’s News at Ten and often fronted coverage of major national events.

He was the BBC’s highest-paid journalist, receiving between £475,000-£479,999 between April 2023 and April 2024.

The BBC has asked him to return the £200,000 he earned between his arrest last November and his resignation this April.

The BBC’s director general said last week that “discussions are under way” about the possibility of clawing back the money.

Making indecent images – what does the law say?

“Making” indecent images can have a wide legal definition, and covers more than simply taking or filming the original picture or clip.

The Crown Prosecution Service says it can include:

A court must also decide whether an offence falls into the category of possession, distribution or production.

According to the Sentencing Council, which issues guidelines on sentencing that the courts must follow unless it is in the interests of justice not to do so, creating the original image counts as production – the more serious of the three categories. It adds that “making an image by simple downloading should be treated as possession for the purposes of sentencing”.

In a statement, Derek Ray-Hill, interim CEO at the Internet Watch Foundation, said: “It is shocking that an app most people have on the phone in their pocket allows child sexual abuse imagery to proliferate.

“As the regulator, Ofcom needs to utilise the full strength of the Online Safety Act, and compel companies to use their best endeavours to prevent images from circulating in end to end encrypted environments.”

If you are affected by any of the issues in this story, the BBC Action Line has information about services that can provide support and advice.

Adblock test (Why?)

Uncategorised

Post navigation

Previous Post: New music this week: Songs from Raiven, Nebulossa, Mustii and more
Next Post: A patriotic single from SHYMAN: “Free Ukraine”

Related Posts

  • Emporia Rooftop Lounge: Join us in Malmö for Eurovision performances, artist meet-and-greets and more Uncategorised
  • Montesong 2024: Who should win Montenegro’s Eurovision 2025 selection? Uncategorised
  • Elon Musk’s AI accused of making explicit AI Taylor Swift videos Uncategorised
  • Naked, alone and living on dog food – all for a TV show that gripped a nation Uncategorised
  • Taylor Swift and Brittany Mahomes Are ‘Twinning and Winning’ in Fun Chiefs Gameday Pics Uncategorised
  • New music this week (part 2): Songs from Aiko & Teya, Go_A, Luke Black and more Uncategorised

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Ariana Grande announces first tour for seven years
  • BuDhaGirl’s Jessica Jesse Is Making Mindfulness Chic With Bangles That Double as Daily Rituals
  • What difference will marriage make to Taylor Swift’s music?
  • Meghan on who said ‘I love you’ first, and what she misses about UK
  • Jerry Adler, who starred in The Sopranos, dies aged 96

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Archives

  • August 2025
  • July 2025
  • June 2025
  • May 2025
  • April 2025
  • March 2025
  • February 2025
  • January 2025
  • December 2024
  • November 2024
  • October 2024
  • September 2024
  • August 2024
  • July 2024
  • June 2024
  • May 2024
  • April 2024
  • March 2024
  • February 2024
  • January 2024
  • December 2023
  • November 2023
  • October 2023
  • September 2023
  • August 2023
  • July 2023
  • April 2023
  • March 2023
  • February 2023
  • January 2023
  • March 2022

Categories

  • announcements
  • Events
  • Fashion
  • music
  • Persons
  • Uncategorised
  • Ukraine: Vidbir 2024 producers receive 389 song submissions…with “several exciting comebacks” Uncategorised
  • PulseSiren presents the drama of feelings in the video “Cup on the Table”, which captures the gothic mood and inner struggle
    PulseSiren presents the drama of feelings in the video “Cup on the Table”, which captures the gothic mood and inner struggle music
  • Taylor Swift’s 1989: What’s new on Taylor’s Version and why has she re-recorded it? Uncategorised
  • Got it on “Loop”: Sarah Bonnici shares revamped version of her Eurovision 2024 song Uncategorised
  • Mr Bates and Mr Loverman win top Bafta Awards Uncategorised
  • Singer Angela returns with the hit "Tviy salonnyy ohirchyk" (Your Salon Cucumber) — stylish, wild, and without illusions
    Singer Angela returns with the hit “Tviy salonnyy ohirchyk” (Your Salon Cucumber) — stylish, wild, and without illusions music
  • MoNaKiss' second track “Lamai” - a new voice of street youth
    MoNaKiss’ second track “Lamai” – a new voice of street youth music
  • Melfest queen Jacqline will make it “Effortless” at London Eurovision Party Uncategorised

Copyright © Style Focus

Powered by PressBook News WordPress theme