Skip to content
  • About us
  • Music
  • Celebrities
  • TV and Movies
  • Fashion
  • Entertaiment
  • Life Style
  • Travel and Health
Style Focus

Style Focus

  • About us
  • Music
  • Celebrities
  • TV and Movies
  • Fashion
  • Entertaiment
  • Life Style
  • Travel and Health
  • Toggle search form
  • Poll: Who gave the best live performance at the London Eurovision Party 2024? Uncategorised
  • BBC faces dilemma over new series of MasterChef Uncategorised
  • New music this week: Songs from Jessica Mauboy, Barbara Pravi, Andrei Ursu and more Uncategorised
  • Rupert Murdoch’s succession drama reaches its finale Uncategorised
  • 14th Annual Governors Awards Red Carpet Arrivals: See all the Most Stylish Stars! Uncategorised
  • Eesti Laul 2025: The jury’s 15 finalists have been revealed Uncategorised
  • Justin Timberlake arrested on driving while intoxicated charge Uncategorised
  • New music this week (part 1): Songs from Marina Satti, LADANIVA, Lena and more Uncategorised

GB News shows hosted by MPs broke Ofcom rules

Posted on 18 March 2024 By Admin No Comments on GB News shows hosted by MPs broke Ofcom rules
Sir Jacob Rees-MoggGetty Images
By Ian Youngs
Entertainment & arts reporter

GB News has been warned about its use of politicians as presenters after media regulator Ofcom ruled that five episodes of programmes hosted by serving Tory MPs broke its rules.

Ofcom said shows hosted by Sir Jacob Rees-Mogg, Esther McVey and Philip Davies broke rules stating politicians should not usually front news coverage.

GB News said it was “deeply concerned” by the “chilling” decision.

Ofcom has told the channel it is now “on notice” over future breaches.

The regulator said repeated contraventions of the relevant part of its code could lead to a sanction, which could include a fine or – in the most serious cases – revoking a broadcasting licence.

The Ofcom code says a politician can’t be a newsreader, interviewer or reporter in a news programme “unless, exceptionally, it is editorially justified”. They can, however, front current affairs shows.

Esther McVey

Sir Jacob hosts State of the Nation every Monday to Thursday evening, while McVey and Davies, who are married, previously presented their own show on Fridays and Saturdays. That show came to an end when McVey was promoted to the cabinet.

The episodes in question were broadcast in May and June 2023, and included a mix of news and current affairs, Ofcom said.

  • The 9 May episode of Sir Jacob’s show covered a breaking news story about a civil trial verdict involving Donald Trump
  • The 13 June edition of State of the Nation covered a stabbing in Nottingham
  • The 12 May episode of Friday Morning with Esther and Philip featured issues including a teenager who was being sentenced for terrorism offences
  • On 13 May, Saturday Morning with Esther and Philip included an interview with Howard Cox – the Reform UK Party’s candidate for the London mayoral election – live from an anti-Ultra Low Emission Zone (Ulez) demonstration
  • On 23 June, Friday Morning with Esther and Philip featured a report on a doctors’ strike, and a live report from Downing Street about a meeting between the chancellor and mortgage lenders

During the programmes, the “host politicians acted as newsreaders, news interviewers or news reporters in sequences which clearly constituted news – including reporting breaking news events – without exceptional justification”, according to Ofcom investigations.

The regulator concluded: “News was, therefore, not presented with due impartiality.”

Its statement added: “Politicians have an inherently partial role in society, and news content presented by them is likely to be viewed by audiences in light of that perceived bias.

“In our view, the use of politicians to present the news risks undermining the integrity and credibility of regulated broadcast news.”

‘Raises serious questions’

In response, GB News said: “We are deeply concerned by the decisions Ofcom has made today. We will raise this directly with the regulator in the strongest possible terms.

“Ofcom is obliged by law to promote free speech and media plurality, and to ensure that alternative voices are heard.” Its latest decisions “contravene those duties”, the channel added.

It accused Ofcom of changing the test it used to decide what has broken the rules, “so that it is no longer ‘Was it impartial?’ but ‘Could someone think it might not be?'”

It added: “This is a chilling development for all broadcasters, for freedom of speech, and for everyone in the United Kingdom.

“These decisions go against established precedent and raises serious questions about Ofcom’s oversight over its own regulations.

“It appears that Ofcom is trying to extend the regulations, rather than enforcing definitions which have been settled for many years.”

GB News added: “We are committed to continuing to feature serving politicians hosting programmes and will continue to do so – just as other Ofcom-regulated services have in the past and still do.”

An Ofcom spokesperson said it had not changed its rules, but that “the approach to due impartiality may vary according to the nature of the subject, the type of programme and channel, and the likely expectation of the audience”.

Ofcom also said it had decided not to investigate a separate episode of Sir Jacob’s State of the Nation, in which he was “used as an eyewitness, in situ news reporter during an unforeseen security incident at Buckingham Palace”.

Related Topics

  • Jacob Rees-Mogg
  • Ofcom
  • Television

Adblock test (Why?)

Uncategorised

Post navigation

Previous Post: Austria’s Kaleen will bring the rave to London Eurovision Party
Next Post: Feminine and masculine energies combine in Katarina’s new single “Sun”

Related Posts

  • Mike Yarwood, comedian and impersonator, dies aged 82 Uncategorised
  • Austria’s Kaleen will bring the rave to London Eurovision Party Uncategorised
  • Everything we know about Quentin Tarantino’s 10th and final film Uncategorised
  • ‘Masterful’ romance novel wins Women’s Prize for Fiction Uncategorised
  • Brit Awards tweak rules after diversity row Uncategorised
  • “I wallowed and I cried” — Mae Muller tells BBC Breakfast about her Eurovision reaction ahead of Sorry I’m Late album release Uncategorised

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Ariana Grande announces first tour for seven years
  • BuDhaGirl’s Jessica Jesse Is Making Mindfulness Chic With Bangles That Double as Daily Rituals
  • What difference will marriage make to Taylor Swift’s music?
  • Meghan on who said ‘I love you’ first, and what she misses about UK
  • Jerry Adler, who starred in The Sopranos, dies aged 96

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Archives

  • August 2025
  • July 2025
  • June 2025
  • May 2025
  • April 2025
  • March 2025
  • February 2025
  • January 2025
  • December 2024
  • November 2024
  • October 2024
  • September 2024
  • August 2024
  • July 2024
  • June 2024
  • May 2024
  • April 2024
  • March 2024
  • February 2024
  • January 2024
  • December 2023
  • November 2023
  • October 2023
  • September 2023
  • August 2023
  • July 2023
  • April 2023
  • March 2023
  • February 2023
  • January 2023
  • March 2022

Categories

  • announcements
  • Events
  • Fashion
  • music
  • Persons
  • Uncategorised
  • Australia: Electric Fields heading to Eurovision with “One Milkali (One Blood)” Uncategorised
  • Operation Mincemeat musical transfers to Broadway Uncategorised
  • Rupert Grint to pay £1.8m after losing tax battle Uncategorised
  • “If you're listening to this, it's your sign” - Ann in Black
    “If you’re listening to this, it’s your sign” – Ann in Black music
  • K-pop singer leaves boy band over sexual crime accusation Uncategorised
  • The stars who turned their back on Hollywood (and some who returned) Uncategorised
  • The Traitors returns: ‘The players are less innocent’ Uncategorised
  • Best albums of 2024: Charli XCX, Beyonce, The Cure and more Uncategorised

Copyright © Style Focus

Powered by PressBook News WordPress theme